THE ELECTIONS HAVE BEEN OVER FOR NEARLY TWENTY MONTHS. Half of Americans are rejoicing, the other half cursing over the election of President Donald Trump.
Regardless of how you voted or whether you are happy or sad, laughing or mad, there’s something you can do that can and will change the course of this country, influence the governance of our new President and grant you a semblance of peace no matter your political persuasion. That’s right, instead of demanding a recount, wishing for a third party candidate or smashing Trump’s Star on Hollywood Blvd. you can make a tangible difference in how America can indeed be made great again.
Do you believe in prayer? Have you ever interceded on behalf of our leaders? Is it possible that God will do something with what you say? The Bible says that “the prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective” and “that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people—for [presidents] and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.”
In other words, instead of complaining about what a lousy job everyone in Washington is doing, tell God about it.
I found eleven short things we can pray about for our new president on the Web and thought it might be more helpful for all of us to talk to the Lord about them instead of whining, complaining and hiding in “a safe place” on a liberal university campus being coddled by a clueless, godless professor.
- Pray that President Trump would develop a fear of the Lord. (Proverbs 1:7)
- That God will draw him near to Himself; and if he isn’t a believer in Jesus Christ, that he would heed the Holy Spirit’s conviction, repenting, and placing his faith in Christ for salvation. (2 Peter 3:9; John 3:16)
- Ask God to grant him a love for the Bible and for prayer. (Psalm 119:97; Colossians 4:2)
- Pray for an awareness that he is in office by God’s allowance, and that he therefore holds a sacred responsibility. (Daniel 2:21; Romans 13:1)
- Ask that he would be surrounded by wise counselors. (Proverbs 20:18)
- Pray that he would develop a heart for God’s glory to be made known in our country. (Psalm 96:3)
- Ask God to help him make wise decisions, that God’s will might be fulfilled in our nation. (Psalm 32:8; Matthew 6:10)
- Pray that in all things, personal and official, he would hate what is evil and cling to what is good. (Romans 12:9)
- Entreat God to move his heart to make God-honoring decisions based on truth, particularly in the areas of abortion, marriage, and protection of parental and religious freedoms. (I Corinthians 10:31)
- Pray that his family life would be strong, protected from the stresses and temptations he faces. (Ephesians 5:25; Ephesians 6:4)
- Ask that God would prompt more of His people to honor our President and to pray for him. (I Peter 2:17; I Timothy 2:1-2)
Now, isn’t that a more productive use of your time instead of wasting another minute posting a sarcastic meme on Facebook?
Also, have you signed up yet for the Presidential Prayer Team? They give you daily specifics on how to pray for the President and those in power. Click here to sign up.