panelarrow

Martyrs: Be-A-Voice Network

| 8 Comments

On Wednesdays, in addition to posting our weekly evangelism outings, I’d like to report on real persecution from fellow believers around the world so that you may advocate and pray for them. We take for granted the freedoms we have in America to live out the Christian life; others around the world don’t enjoy the same, some suffering great loss for Christ.

The Be-A-Voice Network is sponsored by the Voice of the Martyrs, a wonderful organization that helps persecuted Christians around the world. As a member of this network, I want to bring awareness to our brothers’ and sisters’ plight around the world. Please consider being a part of this network, too. I’ll provide the info for you at the end of the post. For now, here’s the latest bulletin:

CHRISTMAS ATTACKS

At least 80 people were killed Christmas weekend in attacks across Nigeria, including assaults against two churches. In Maiduguri, the pastor of Victory Baptist Church was dragged out of his home by armed men and shot to death.  Two men rehearsing for the Christmas service at the church and two people walking nearby were also killed. Afterwards, the mob set the church and pastor’s house on fire.

Also, within the same city and on the same day, another group of men attacked the Church of Christ and killed an elderly security guard.

That evening, bomb blasts in central Nigeria claimed the lives of 32 people. Two bombs exploded near a market where people were Christmas shopping, another exploded in a predominantly Christian area in Jos, and a fourth bomb blast occurred near a road to a mosque.

On Sunday a clash between Muslim and Christian youths in central Nigeria raised the death toll to at least 80 and 100 wounded. The death toll is expected to rise.

Source: Christian Post

Please Pray!

Pray for the light of Christ to penetrate the spiritual darkness in Nigeria. Pray for the families of those who lost their lives and those injured in the attacks. Pray that the peace of God will flow like a river in the midst of the anguish and that Christians will not be compelled to retaliate.

“Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of His saints.” Psalm 116:15

Click here to sign up to be an advocate for the persecuted church.

8 Comments

  1. I’m curious, Steve. Do you pay attention to what you type? (Or in this case, I guess, cut and paste)

    Now, there is some evidence that the whole situation is politically motivated, but let’s leave that aside. The most obvious conclusion in Nigeria is that Islamic extremists are attacking Christians.

    And if that is the case, then this does, in fact, is what real persecution looks like.

    Here’s the thing, though. You keep trying to claim that YOU’RE being persecuted if you aren’t allowed to pester people who have a different belief system than you do. Now, that ISN’T persecution, in any way, shape or form.

    This is the most clear example what we’ve been trying to point out to you. Not that it stops you, of course, but still…

    Remember Aesop’s fables? “The Boy Who Cried Wolf”? Why don’t you stick to using the word “persecution” when we’re talking about death, violence or property damage?

  2. This is a good idea Pastor Steve!

    Nameless- I think I know what you are saying. Here in America we deal much more with intimidation as opposed to persecution. Though I know Pastor Steve has experienced persecution, like the time he was open-airing at a Lakers game and was punched at. That would be persecution. And one day there will be massive world-wide persecution of disciples of Jesus Christ, but until then we preach on!

    God bless!

  3. Tommy, if Steve was punched entirely unprovoked, then yes, that would count. On the other hand, if somebody took offense at “You’re a sinner, and you will burn for eternity in a lake of fire,” then no, not so much.

    See, it’s a tightrope that evangelists don’t always walk well. (And no, it’s not even “intimidation” most of the time – although I’m sure there’s some, since “get out of my face” can be delivered any number of ways.)

    You’re walking up to people and telling them that their beliefs, some of them deeply held, are entirely wrong and they’re (as I said) going to burn.

    Because THEIR Christ isn’t identical to YOUR Christ. Or they follow the wrong flavor of the Invisible Man in the Sky. Or they’ve abandoned the church entirely.

    Whatever the reason, you think you’re throwing them a spiritual lifeline, but most of us just think you’re being a superstitious prat. And, after all, your freedom of speech extends pretty much to the end of my fist (metaphorically – I find it’s much more fun to run rings around your apologetics, but not everybody feels that way).

    Incidentally, “one day there will be massive world-wide persecution of disciples of Jesus Christ”? Really? Look up “martyr complex” for me, will ‘ya?

  4. Here in America we deal much more with intimidation as opposed to persecution.

    It’s amazing how 80% of the population could be intimidated by the other 20% (if that).

    In other words, I don’t buy it.

  5. Tommy, if Steve was punched entirely unprovoked, then yes, that would count.

    I still wouldn’t count it as persecution, because I have serious doubts that it happened simply because Steve is a Christian.

    That is, either the guy was loco, or there was a bit of provocation involved. I tend to believe that it would be a combination of the two.

  6. Hey Nameless and Nohm! Just a couple of comments:

    Nameless if you have ever read the book of Revelation? It is clear that at the end of this world, just before the beginning of the new world, the saints (born-again Holy Spirit filled people) are going to be persecuted all over the world. It will make the holocaust look like a cake walk. The ungodly will have their time, a time of living it up and winning (or so it seems). Then in a blaze of glory Jesus Christ will return and set all creation right! The way it was always meant to be! This will the Judgment Day!!!

    Nohm said, “It’s amazing how 80% of the population could be intimidated by the other 20% (if that).”

    But the problem Nohm is that the 80% who believe in “God” don’t necessarily believe in the God of the Bible. Then there is the group of false converts within Christianity who have no relationship with Jesus Christ whatsoever. The true converts of Jesus Christ are a minority within the world and even the church today. In connection to this check out these to Scriptures:

    [Jesus speaking] “They will make you outcasts from the synagogue, but an hour is coming for everyone who kills you to think that he is offering service to God. These things they will do because they have not known the Father or Me.”—John 16:2-3 (go to read also on this issue John 15:18-27) NASB

    “….holding to a form of godliness, although they have denied its power;”—2 Timothy 3:5 NASB

    All glory to God and His Son, Jesus Christ!

  7. So I guess Steve also shares in the lunatic belief that there will be a massive extermination of fundamentalists. Interesting.

  8. Yeah I am curious , if everyone on this website, believes in the Rapture and the Tribulation. Its interesting because Revelation was almost not included in the Bible canon. I admit its fire and brimstone approach is a powerful stick to bash people into line. “You’d better be a ‘true convert’ because at any moment Jesus can come back and take you away from the Earth, and the rest of the skeptics, non-believers, jews, agnostics, muslims, etc. etc. will be left to go through hell on earth for seven years, because the anti-christ will rule over the world.”

    I’ve read up a little more on Left Behind, and trust me, if millions or BILLIONS of Christians and the young children of the world vanished simply right before our eyes, we’d have only the Bible to turn to for explanation. It would be the first physical evidence for it, and would win a massive amount of converts, because if something like the Rapture happened, there would be good reason to believe in the rest of the tribulation. Someone could even assassinate the Anti-Christ before they rise to power. Its not hard really, just look at who’s uniting the world under their power and go after them.

    Revelation is a pretty dark story, allegorical much like Genesis. But if you believe that a beast will come out of the sea that has 10 horns with ten crowns AND seven heads and on each head a blasphemous name, oh and there’s a dragon too, then you should endeavor to discover where in the ocean this strange creature is. If you believe that this beast is an allusion to something else then ask yourself why LITERAL prophecy is delivered in such a fantastical, metaphorical, vague and almost poetic writing style.

Leave a Reply

Required fields are marked *.